ExternalEmailAddress is mandatory on MailUser

I just got this error while attempting to provision Exchange 2007 users with ILM 2007 FP1:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    MIIServer
Event Category:    Server
Event ID:    6801
Date:        15.09.2009
Time:        10:14:02
User:        N/A
Computer:    ILMSERVER
Description:
The extensible extension returned an unsupported error in MIIS.
The stack trace is:

"Microsoft.MetadirectoryServices.ExtensionException:
**** ERROR ****

ExternalEmailAddress is mandatory on MailUser.

**** END ERROR ****

**** ERROR ****

The mail contact and mail user must have a valid external e-mail address.

**** END ERROR ****

at Exch2007Extension.Exch2007ExtensionClass.AfterExportEntryToCd(Byte[] origAnchor, String origDN, String origDeltaEntryXml, Byte[] newAnchor, String newDN, String failedDeltaEntryXml, String errorMessage)
Microsoft Identity Integration Server 3.3.0118.0"

This event had been asked about on the Technet forum, but the answers talked about rollup versions – and I had RU9 on both the Exchange and ILM servers.

Eventually I figured out there was a typo in my homeMDB string. The clue was that all the expected mail attributes were populated in AD, except homeMDB.

Now what “ExternalEmailAddress” has to do with homeDMB I do not know!

About: Carol

I've been doing IT for 30 years, and IdM for 15. I live in Australia and build IdM solutions based on Microsoft Identity Manager. I also play the violin, but that doesn't help much with the IdM solutions.


One thought on “ExternalEmailAddress is mandatory on MailUser”

  1. I ran into the same error when I tried to create linked mailboxes to Exhange 2007 with ILM 2007 FP1. In my case the reason was missing objectSID which is mandatory to create linked mailbox. This caused the CreateMailbox command to fail with the same error code as you had (which is not very informative).

    The partially failed seems to create AD accounts with some of the Exchange attributes in place. Eg email attributes are set but mailbox is not created. Exchange thinks that these objects are contacts. Contacts require the ExternalEmailAddress to be set and that is the cause for misleading error message.

    After adding few lines of code to check that all mandatory attributes are present provisioning worked fine.

Comments are closed.